Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Best Angiogram Ever!

I have to admit, I was not looking forward to last week's angiogram. Some people are into that sort of thing, but not I. That said, last week's angiogram was the best I ever had. The first time was when I was 11 and getting worked up for the original tumor. I remember it as a distinctly unpleasant experience. This time was much better than I expected. The surgeon was really smooth with the arterial catheter. Other than the spike in an unpleasant place where they inserted the arterial catheter, it was kind of groovy. Or was it just the better drugs?

The results were interesting. First of all, there were the expected dense clumps of arterioles (tiny arteries) in each nostril. Those are why I have been getting nosebleeds since July, it means there is a solution to that. But, also, he did a general survey of arteries in the whole region.

Oddly, I have no atherosclerosis (harding/narrowing of the arteries). On the one hand, this is good news. Who, other than a pervert, would actually want to have atherosclerosis? On the other, it raises some annoying questions. I have always assumed that my two strokes were due to atherosclerosis of the arteries of my brain from my radiation therapy. That does not look to be the case.

The next most likely source of the strokes is the tiny hole between my atria (the top two chambers of my heart). This is a very common defect. 20% of everybody is born with it, and it is usually harmless. However, a large percentage of people who have unexplained strokes have this defect.* So then, we have to consider closing the defect, which can be done through yet another--wait for it--angiogram! I'm going to be a real pro at these things!

Anyway, last week's angiogram was just to get a map of my arteries--the appetizer, if you will. Tomorrow, I go for another angiogram, and this time, they mean business. They're going to release material (a combo of tiny beads or superglue) that will block off the extra arterioles that are the source of the nosebleeds. The downside is that there is a risk that too many arterioles will be blocked, and my nose will fall off. Well, actually, not fall off, but, still, badness. It's pretty unlikely, though. This interventional neuroradiologist / neurosurgeon does about 300 of these a year, and his record is excellent. But this is the sort of thing that keeps me up the night before a procedure.

On the bright side, if something bad happens, I'll be inspired to write more, and I like writing. On the brighter side, look at that adorable dog picture at the bottom of the post.





* It's called a patent foramen ovale (which sounds like the name of some sort of nobleman or other), aka PFO. The theory is that a tiny blood clot forms in venous (vein) system and makes its way to the heart. Then, somehow, it passes through the PFO into the arterial system and up into the brain, causing a stroke. This is weird, because the pressure is much greater on the arterial side, so you would expect stuff to go the other way, but there it is.




2 comments:

  1. I love when stories are fascinating AND include good news. The cute dog photo earns you extra credit.
    Story alone C+
    With good news B+
    With cute Dog A+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting tiny marbles and superglue in your nose, who knew that would be an excellent modern medical treatment :-)

    Thanks for the update. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete