Wednesday, October 30, 2019

On the Cutting Edge: S minus 7 days!

It's getting close!  In only 7 days, in a room deep inside the University of Steel Medical Center, the Surgeons of Steel will slip their steely scalpels into my schnoz and work their steely magic on the mysterious mass behind my booger blower! (1)

I'm so excited!  This could be the most exciting day of my life, although I plan to sleep through a lot of it.  I'm bringing a big posse: K/BWE,  Dad, Mom, and Aunt Ickey!  The Professor, Willow, and Katie will be holding down the fort with the help of Best-Sister-in-Law Ever (BSLE) and Best Niece Ever (BNE). (2)

Nov. 3, the flight.  'Nuff said.

Nov. 4, visits with various Doctors of Steel, and, I hope a visit to the Natural History Museum of the Magnate of Steel.  The museum has awesome dinosaur skeletons that I have wanted to see since the Professor was called Little Lord Chaos and into that stuff.  (He has moved on, but I have not.)

Nov. 5, the angiogram.  I gotta get up at like 4 in the morning or something.  Doctors are crazy!  They should all be locked up.  Anyway, that particular doc (as -yet-to-be named) will thread a catheter (A different kind of catheter, perverts!) all the way from an artery in my upper arm to my great blood blasting artery (aorta) and taking a turn up my right carotid artery and then some smaller artery I might have learned about in medical school and that almost nobody cares about.  Then, said doc will release tiny beads (probably made of turquoise from New Mexico or something else pretty) into the arteries supplying the part of the mass that is accessible through my nose so I don't bleed to death when they take it out the next day (a net plus).

They're going to keep me in the hospital for the whole rest of the day!  I have no idea why, but I think I heard something about a padded room.

Nov. 6, S minus 0.  Blast off!



P.S. The Professor has cruelly tricked me into watching baseball again.  Now, I can't go to bed before this darn thing is over!






(1)  I'd like to clarify something.  Though they stab it with their steely scalpels, but they just can't kill the beast.(3)  This thing is filling all of my sinuses and the weird, giant, central, brain-draining vein, and it's also right next to my brain.  No surgery will fix that.  Maybe chemo or antifungal medication will.  Maybe if I sacrifice a goat, but I love goats, so, no.

(2) Katie will be in charge of protecting the family from small mammals and birds, and Willow is responsible for protecting against evil forces outside the window, visible only to her and in need of a good barking.

(3) Many of us hate the Eagles.  However, that is a great song.  I do like the Gypsy Kings cover better than the original, but still.





*                    *                    *





I washed Willow this afternoon, for she had rolled in foulness.  It was the worst experience of her entire life, but she seems to have forgiven me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm Jeri Flynn, an immigration lawyer friend of Kathleen's in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The Big C affected my father and his two sisters, their mother, and ??? in his family. It affected two of my mother's siblings. It's affected my three siblings, but not me yet. I don't like the Big C, but it surely likes my family. Keep writing, Tom, because I can surely relate.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck for next week T!

    Love from us all in Blighty.

    ReplyDelete