Friday, August 2, 2019

On Luck, a Philosophical Interlude

There was a patient I once had; almost exactly my age.  He had never had money.  He had never gone to college or had a good job.  He married once and had a child but hadn't seen him for years.  He did something stupid but not violent that led to a short jail sentence.

During that sentence, his bad habits and bad genes caught up with him and sent him into severe liver failure. He was transferred to the prison ward of my hospital and became my patient.  He had weeks to live.  I contacted his judge, who allowed him to come off the prison ward to die on the regular ward. 

One clear spring day, I wheeled him outside.  He lit one of the cigarettes I had bought him.  He looked at the sky and out over the lovely park in front of us, and he said, "I guess it's been a good life."

Who is lucky?  A lot of people have commented on how unlucky I am.  It's true that I have had many absurdly serious health crises for someone my age.  But I don't think that's the same thing as being unlucky.  In my life as a cancer patient (for instance, Saving the Girl), and in my career as a doctor, I have seen a lot of unlucky people.

The unluckiest have been children.  When I did a pediatric oncology rotation in medical school, there was a teenage girl who had a brain tumor.  The surgery to remove it had left her terribly brain damaged and on a ventilator.  Her wrists were tied to the bed to keep her from tearing  her many tubes out, and she would frantically gesture with her hand as if she wanted a pen.  One day I gave her a pen, and I put a pad underneath it.  She scribbled violently and randomly.  And when I took them away, she continued the frantic gesturing as she did every day, trying to send some message that may not even have had words anymore.  She never made it off that ventilator.

As a doctor to adults, I see all sorts of misfortune.  Patients will open their hearts about their history of childhood abuse, or the spoiled marriages they can never leave because you need two incomes just to keep a roof over your head and the refrigerator full, especially if you are old.

Even if I die tomorrow, I am lucky.  I was born into a family and a place and a time which gave me protection in my crises.  No one important has ever made assumptions about me based on how I look.  I have a happy marriage with a thriving son, and I have wonderful relatives on both sides who are there for me.  I have dozens of close friends ready to help in crisis.  I have a good job.  There are people I have never met who read my updates and offer sympathy and support.

So, no, I am not unlucky.  Thank you to everyone who makes that so.


5 comments:

  1. Got to say, besides relatives, your parents are such wonderful parents. You didn't get to choose them. Medical Mafia indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful piece. Beautifully written, thoughtful, and I would say quite true. People are one of the most important things in life, and you are surrounded by lovely people.

    I can imagine people saying why the hell did you ever buy cigarettes for that patient. I bet they helped put him in a mood where he could genuinely feel what he said, "I guess it's been a good life." (I can remember being in a supermarket in DC years ago, where they'd recently passed a law that anyone up to the age of 29 had to be carded. There, at the checkout, was a woman who was clearly well older than that, VERY upset because they weren't letting her buy some cigarettes, because she didn't have any ID on her. I bought her the cigarettes. I didn't let her pay me back. It was obvious she was in a full on nic fit, and denying her cigarettes then was not going to help her quit. I still feel good about having done that.

    Thank you, Tom, for your wisdom and humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom- I love reading your blog. Your humor and insight helps keep perspective on life. I’m glad we are friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Garvey, I consider myself blessed for knowing you. You do have an amazing family and dear friends. Please always know, you are dearly loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wise! We could all listen to you whenever we get upset about nothings. We are sending you our love and belated birthday wishes for the best. Love, Dana and Val

    ReplyDelete