Monday, August 15, 2016

They Couldn't Wait!

As some of you may know, my surgery date has been switched to August 18th. I don't know whether it was because the Clivus Dudes couldn't wait to see me in that provocative hospital gown or because they couldn't find an anesthesiologist, but there it is.

I really appreciate all of the good wishes and offers to help that everyone has sent. I am actually not so scared about this surgery. Unlike the last one, in 2012, I feel pretty certain this isn't cancer (Knock on wood!*); the surgery itself is noninvasive; no one is opening my face like in 2005 and 2007; and if this is anything like 2012, the recovery should be quick. It kind of feels like getting a colonoscopy plus a night or two in the hospital and minus the day of watery diarrhea and creepy photos.

Of course, I could be wrong. This could be the beginning of something horrendous. In that case, you may expect months of entertaining updates.




*Interesting origin of this expression (or so I remember). In pagan northern Europe, if you wanted something, you could go to a tree and ask the spirit inside to help you get it. When you got what you wanted, you would go back and stroke the tree, or, as the English still say, "rub wood." (I cannot be held accountable for the way in which those last two phrases might be interpreted by the more imaginative among you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment